Thursday, November 1, 2012

Trick or Treat

Halloween was a bit of a disappointment this year.  The Halloween event at the local park was cancelled on Sunday because of the looming hurricane and Oliver wasn't too enthusiastic about his daycare Halloween party.  Fortunately, we did get some trick-or-treating in yesterday, but it was chilly!  I got off easy on costumes this year - the babies had received the skelton PJs as a present from my stepsister and Oliver loves his fireman dress-up clothes, so I saw no reason to buy him something new for the occassion.  I promise to put a bit more effort in next year, as my window of getting all three boys to dress in a theme will be very short-lived....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Last night, the Little Friends of Chester Arthur (a local parent group working to improve the local elementary school) hosted a family Halloween event on a nearby city block.  Families came with kids in costume and candy to hand out.  It was cold and we didn't last too long - the babies were still a bit out of sorts from shots they had gotten the previous day.  I was bummed they needed to be bundled up so much that you couldn't even tell they were dressed for the occasion.  Our friends that live just a block away were also there, and the big kids and daddies trick-or-treated their way home.  I think Oliver would consider the event a success -- his dinner consisted of peanut M&Ms, a kit kat, and a mini-ring pop (toddler gold!).





A week ago, Oliver's daycare hosted a Halloween event.  It was a bit lame, though I appreciate them making the effort.  Oliver wanted no part in pumpkin painting, frame decorating, or pumpkin bowling.  We were there for less time than it took to walk over!  Determined to make something of the outing (it's work to get all three out of the house solo!), I decided to stop for dinner on the way home.  Having done this a few times now, I've learned a couple of tricks to make the experience more manageable -- A table as far out of the way as possible minimizes our disruption to others, and paying with cash go a long way in making a fast exit when (almost always) necessary.  A glass of wine also helps take the edge off!  This was the first time that Oliver sat on the opposite side of the table from me and he did great!  What toddler doesn't love a dinner of fruit & french fries?  I wonder how long until the looks of bewilderment/pity from other diners will continue.  That's unlikely to change when I'm asking for a booster seat and two high chairs!

 

 

No comments: