We should be in the air right now flying to St Martin, but thanks to Winter Storm Nemo, we are sitting at home, in a clean house, with an empty fridge, surrounded by all of our packed belongings. One serious storm in two years and it lands on the day we want to take our first vacation in a really long time. I'm still really upset by the whole thing. I called on Thursday morning to see if we could fly out a day earlier. When everything was booked, the agent asked if he should book us on a Sunday flight. Back then, the storm data was pretty vague, and he misled me into thinking that the airline would add a flight or two to get those with cancelled flights out. Why would we fly out on Sunday and miss a day of vacation (not realizing I could have also bumped out return flight back a day), when the airline would just get us out later on Saturday afternoon? Boy am I a dummy! When I fly for work, I've never encountered this - if a flight got cancelled, the airline automatically put me on the next available flight. For storms, to prevent a scenerio of stranded travelers in airports for days, airlines err on the side of cancelling flights, and don't make any efforts to rebook you, they just give you a refund.
So, we didn't take action until after the flight got officially cancelled yesterday around lunchtime. Right after I had finished packing the house and was just waiting for the next nap to load the car! All that was left to pack was the babies toys, literally everythign else was ready to go. And, this was after everyone else on our plane with a bit more foresight had rebooked, leaving us no flight options over the next few days. After multiple calls yesterday, Adam managed to get us on a flight flying out a WEEK from Monday. The dates aren't great for me work-wise or for my dad/Margit who were so generous to watch the twins for us. A mess all around. We'll try and change the flight again today, but I'm thinking we'll probably get hit with a big change fee, if it works at all.
So, lesson learned - at the HINT of a possible flight cancellation, rebook immediately!

No comments:
Post a Comment