Saturday, December 18, 2010

Things to Remember: Month 8

Oliver is at the cutest age/developmental stage right now.  This feels like one of those instances in time you want to freeze and be able to revisit.  We are really starting to get a sense of his personality and he's getting into all kinds of cute trouble like unrolling the roll of toilet paper and trying to put his hands in the toilet.   This kid gets into everything!  He also enjoys opening up our lazy susan and getting out all of our glass bowls, the strainer, and anything else he can get his hands on. 
     this post is pretty long, but I'm using it to help me with the baby book down the road and I've added cute photos at the end....
  • Oliver is a good-natured, social kid.  He loves being around people and doesn't get freaked out if we are someplace with a lot of people or hubbub.  He has this fake-shy schtick that he does with ladies where he will bury his head in my shoulder when they first approach him.  After 30seconds of this little routine, he's talking with them and trying to give Hi-5s.  He seems to be more interested in men and is always more interested looking at them and warms up to them more quickly. 
  • Oliver has two new teeth and two more that will break through any day now.  At this rate, he'll have a full mouth of teeth before Christmas.  We recently started using a toothbrush with him and he loves it. 
  • He's a cruising pro!  The first time he walked the length of the couch was the day after Thanskgiving.  Nothing is safe on our coffeetable anymore!  A couple of times he has done "accidental unsupported standing".  He'll grab a toy off the exersaucer or the coffeetable and will put it in his mouth with two hands - half the time he realizes he's about to loose his balance and grabs on to something and the rest of the time he lands on his bottom - thank goodness for the cushioning effect of the diaper!
  • Oliver cracks himself up.  Jana can make him laugh the best.  Peek-a boo is a big hit, especially with his stuffed monkey.  He'll give himself the hiccups from laughing too hard. It's the best thing in the world to him laughing real hard.  I'll post a video soon. 
  • He loves to play ball - either sitting across from him and rolling it back and forth or letting him run up & down the hallway kicking it.  We have one active boy on our hands!
  • He's great when I'm running errands.  He loves looking around and checking everything out - especially the grocery story.
  • Oliver is downright awful when it comes to car travel and has been for sometime.  He lasts maybe an hour before he gets disgruntled.  And is especially uncooperative if he's awake and its dark out.  In some cases, we've timed our 2+ hr drives to/from Jersey so that we arrive at our destination before it gets dark.  He cried the better part of the trip home the last time I was in Jersey solo and we alternated between him screaming his head off and me getting horse singing to him (I made up all kinds of wacky verses to "Wheels on the Bus").  
  • He can keep himself amused playing by himself - especially handy when I want to spend some time on the internet.  He especially likes this container of haircurlers I have (photo below).  
  • He bolts for the freezer and the dishwasher when he sees that you have opened them.  Its pretty hysterical.   
  •  

2 comments:

Jen said...

great post. I have always said month 9 I wanted time to just stop. loved that month. although once he starts using sentences I bet he'll have you laughing yourselves sick.

also have many strange verses to wheels on the bus if you need some to borrow :)

aimeeconfer said...

He is such a cutie Heike!