Sunday, February 13, 2011

Miraculous Recovery

Baby sickness update:  That night (Monday) Oliver went down for bed without a fight, but was up again, and miserable at 9:30pm.  Finally, at midnight, we got him back to sleep.  He didn't wake up until 5am (when my alarm went off - ugh).  But after a few minutes of Mommy-snuggles, he was back asleep. 

By the time I landed in San Fran on Tuesday morning (well, West Coast time), Oliver seemed to be fine.  When I talked to Jana it didn't even seem like he needed the Children's Tylenol anymore. 
My business trip was most un-fun, having endured the worst of the cold symptoms while I was on the road.  Oliver & I have each developed a bit of a cough, but seem otherwise OK.  Jana, thankfully, never got sick. 

I'm a bit surprised by this, but I've decided I'm anti-children's cold medicine.  When the it would kick in, Oliver would start motoring around the house like he was fine - as if he had gotten some kind of adrenalin jolt - (What the heck is that stuff? - I need to do some research). Of course, it was purely the drugs and not any indication that he was recovering -- it was always short lived and then he would be extra cranky when he came down from his "high" -- I hope we don't have to give him cold medicine for a LONG time!

1 comment:

Jen said...

agreed. nothing good is in there, but its good to have it in a pinch. if he can tolerate advil I recommend that, it tends to relax them more from what I have seen. we go with the "productive fever" approach - after all the point of a fever is its the body's way of fighting infection. we dont treat it until it goes above 101.5. otherwise we leave it. sometimes end up giving her something in the wee hours of the AM and then she gets through most of daylight without it. she's got her daddy's 2am 104 temp gene. its like she knows the ped isn't open. arg!