Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Mommy Milestones

I get asked a lot how we are managing with twins.   Each week feels a bit more manageable than the week prior and gives me more confidence to get out and do more.  About two weeks ago, I hit a pretty big milestone - I managed to get out of the house with the twins without any help and was able to run a bunch of errands.  Of course, it took me a lot longer than I thought it would to actually get out of the house.  I was in and out of five different stores without being brought to tears, despite the boys multiple attempts to bring me down.  This was my setup for feeding & changing the boys in the car in between stores. 


Feeling confident the days of Alex's hysterical crying would bring me to tears were behind me, I bravely took all three boys out to breakfast while we were in Cape May.  The trip started well - there were only two other occupied tables, and Oliver was on his best behavior.  I managed to feed Alex before the food came and since Lukas was still asleep, I actually got to eat some bites of a warm breakfast!  I was feeling quite cocky when I took this photo... things went downhill only a few short minutes later.  While feeding Lukas, Alex started wailing - he was sitting in a nasty blowout.  It was at this very moment that Oliver decided it would be fun to start playing with the knives on the table and it wasn't long before I realized that Lukas also had a poop -- three crying boys and a mommy unsuccessfully fighting back tears.  I ended up changing Alex's diaper under the table, while our sweet waitress soothed (possibly fed?) Lukas.  The 30%+ tip I left was worth every penny.  I've definitely learned to not be so stubborn and just take the help when kind strangers offer it.  There's just no way to survive going out in public with my three otherwise. 









No comments: