I'm very glad to be working from home today, although I'm not exactly getting much done. I'm able to keep an eye on Oliver and give Katharina some additional directions to care for him. Even something as simple as getting him dressed requires some adjustments to make him more comfortable.
I can also oversee giving him his meds, which is no easy task. Last night we followed the directions on the back of the box (we're just giving him over-the counter Advil!), and this morning I realized that the nurse had given me larger syringes -- something wasn't adding up. I looked at our discharge papers and they instructed us to give him 5mL of medicine, while the back of the box said 1.25mL-- big difference. After a talk with my peditrician, I learned that since bought Advil instead of Motrin NEITHER the discharge papers nor the directions on the box were the correct dosage!!! He needed half of what the discharge papers said, double what is stated on the back of the box. Nonsense! So glad I figured that out this morning and we weren't continuing to under-dose.
Katharina & Oliver went out for a walk this morning (the weather is gorgeous!!! Yeah Autumn!) and I decided to put the temporary cast on his arm. He had it on at the hospital to keep him from playing/pulling on his IV from his healthy arm. I snagged it when we left. While I understand they want to keep his arm free so it can heal and encourage him to use it, that just didn't seem like a good plan to this Mommy for a trip to the park. How can he play if he has to constantly worry about hurting his little arm?
![]() |
| collecting leaves for an art project |

No comments:
Post a Comment