Friday, October 25, 2013

And now... A Mommy Update

This blog has always about the kids... this time, I'm going to talk a bit about myself for a change!

Since May, I've been on a bit of a health kick as I try to loose 20+ pounds that had slowly accumulated since taking a desk job in 2002.  Before getting pregnant with the twins, I had lost about 10lbs more than my pre-Oliver pregnancy weight, thanks to a new active lifestyle (running after Oliver and no longer living in an elevator building across from my office).  I wanted to get at least back to that weight and then some. I bought a Ninja blender and started drinking a green smoothie daily (putting those weekly CSA veggies to good use!).  I put the kibosh on my almost-daily cinnamon scone from Au Bon Pain (oh how I miss you) and stopped drinking wine mid-week at home. Yes, I know that's a pretty limited scale-back, but it allowed me to enjoy the occasional mid-week night out.  I also got a personal trainer and have been going twice a week, at 5:30am.  It's an ungodly hour, but the only way to work it into my life without shouldering Adam with more childcare responsibilities.  I'm proud to share that I lost ~18lbs between Mother's Day and Labor Day.  NONE of my clothes fit, as I am down an amazing 2+ pants sizes.  My donations pile is insane! It has been equal parts fun and annoying to replace my entire wardrobe.  Thankfully, since I no longer work in a business-professional office, I don't need to fully replenish my corporate wardrobe.   

Since then, I've been maintaining my weight, but between work travel and waning enthusiasm, I haven't been as good about going to the gym, or resisting those scones.  I would like to loose another ~10lb and plan on getting back on the horse soon.  We have our annual family photoshoot in mid-November -- excellent motivation to keep going!  

As I've previously mentioned, I've recently taken on a leadership position in the Junior League (you know, in all my spare time).  I'm very appreciative of Adam who has been extremely supportive.  Since switching firms in December 2010, I've been working in a remote office with less than 10 people (none of which work in my department) and with no colleagues my age.  My job has been feeling a bit routine and monotonous after having more or less been in the same position for 11+ years and I needed something that was a bit more mentally stimulating. It is great to be involved in something that I'm enthusiastic about and that gets me meeting new people.  

I am the chairperson of our Farm Explorer committee.  The Farm Explorer is a 24-foot mobile farm that educates families about local produce and healthy, seasonal eating.  We go to local festivals and events and make tasty treats (smoothies and small snacks) using the blender bike (shown below) and educate kids and parents about the different veggies, herbs, and plants that can grow in the region.  It's been great watching the kids react as they learn about the food they eat.  At our first event, kids helped us harvest some onions and carrots.  Their little minds were completely blown away as they learned how these veggies grow in the ground!  This is the first year of this program and it has been exciting creating something from the ground up. I have also gotten to meet some fabulous ladies and broaden my friend-circle in the process.    


No comments: