Last night, just at the start of the "witching hour" Lukas tripped and fell and was bleeding pretty heavily from his mouth. a quick call to my pediatrician later and Lukas and I were off to CHOP to have him checked out. I thanked my lucky stars in the car that we had an au pair living with us again. Natalie was home and able to keep an eye on the others until Adam got home. the last time we had a minor late-afternoon medical emergency before Adam got home, I couldn't get a hold of neighbor-friends and had to drag all 3 to the pediatrician.
It turns out that Lukas did not bite completely through his tongue as I had feared, but had just broken through on the top and bottom. we had just been at the pediatrician yesterday morning for their 15mo check up, which included vaccinations and the flu shot, so Lukas was immediately distrusting od anyone in scrubs. which didn't help the situation. When they finally did check him out, I had to lay down with him on my chest holding down his arms, while a nurse kept his.mouth open so a doctor.could look around. Every chance he got, Lukas sprayed us all with very loud, wet raspberries, indicating his anger at what we were putting him through.
They gave him some Tylenol when we arrived and told us to give him more for pain as needed, but otherwise his tongue would heel itself. This turned out to be an expensive outing for an applesauce dinner and Tylenol! My Oma used to say "Arme Heike" or "Arme Nicole" whenever we would tell her we were sick. Armer Lukas! he's doing okay today, but is clearly disinterested in any type of solid food.
No comments:
Post a Comment