Thursday, July 10, 2014

Oliver's Birthday Campout!!!

I got the idea to host a campout for Oliver's birthday initially last summer and was so so excited that Oliver was still enthusiastic about the idea when his birthday finally came around in April. We had offered to do a Philly-based party, either family or with school-friends, but he kept telling us he wanted to do a party with his "cousin-friends".

I remembered all too well the extra work I had created for myself last year making fire engine lollipops, so I tread more lightly this year and didn't let myself get swept away by Etsy.  I ordered a "Camp Oliver" banner (that I made using my laminator) that matched the colors in the invite, ordered "Camp Oliver" tee-shirts, and made party favors that included blue/green candy, superhero flashlights, and a scavenger hunt.


In addition to all the cousins, my good friend Brian from high school and his family also joined us (works out perfectly that our kids are all the same age).



After the boys "helped" the dad's set up the tents, they husked corn, and watched Cousin Bill get the fire started.  Then some had fun with the scavenger hunt while the others just had fun being boys running around a campsite.  The boys started roasting their own hotdogs on the fire, but the shifting winds quickly made that become a dad-job.   






After the grown-ups had eaten, it was time for the boys to find sticks for roasting marshmellows.  Unfortunately, I missed most of the marshmellow fun, putting Alex & Lukas to bed in the bungalow (this arrangement would have never worked if all five of us were going to have to sleep in the tent!).  After marshmellows, Uncle Carl took the boys toad hunting, and they actually found one!  That poor toad.  I can only imagine how dizzy and nauseous he must have been after Bentley carried him around in that jar!  











Of course the night couldn't end without some sparklers!  Everyone had a lot of fun and this event is likely to become an annual family event!!


No comments: