One of the family changes we need to make before my maternity leave ends is getting the twins out of my home office and sharing a room with Oliver. Step One in this process was getting Oliver into a different bed, so the boys could have his crib. Luckily, cousin Remi had already moved up to a toddler bed, so they gave us their convertible crib. When Alex/Lukas need their own cribs, we will switch Oliver to a toddler bed and turn his bed back into a crib. Hopefully, the twins don't need their own cribs too soon, because we have NO room to add a single thing in this room.
This room is now jam-packed! We moved Oliver's crib to the opposite wall, so his new bed would be on the wall where he was already sleeping. We moved the recliner to the opposite corner (which I love - the book reading lighting is so much better!) and switched the changing table and bookshelf. I couldn't find a "before" photo. I didn't notice this until I saw the photos, but this room is in serious need of some photos or something on the walls.
Oliver "helped" Adam set up the new toddler bed while Adam had off from work (during Pauline's vacation). Neither was particularly cooperative, so I don't have any good photos from the project. We made the mistake of telling Oliver that he would help Daddy put together his bed "after nap" before he went down for a nap. Since he was so excited by the prospect, he didn't actually nap. At bedtime, he was so exhausted from the napless day that he actually fell asleep while I was reading books. It's been a week now and everything has been going smoothly. I was fairly confident it would be an uneventful transition, since he'd been sleeping on a cot at the bungalow without incident all summer. When he wakes up, he stays in bed hollering for us - he doesn't even get up and play in his room. Once, we heard him playing on the recliner instead of napping, but that's been it.
Phew! I'm thankful for the uneventful transition and hopeful that the upcoming transitions, of which there are alot, will be equally boring. In store for this kid in the coming months -- full time daycare (which just started), new daycare in November (because we don't like the place he goes to now), and a new au pair (Pauline leaves in early December). And of course... we need to move next Spring!
We have started putting the twins in the room for naps and Oliver has been cooperative about sharing the room thus far. Its been tough to stop calling it "his" room. The next step will be putting them in the room at night, once the babies have fallen asleep. They only get up once a night, so we don't think it should be disruptive to Oliver. Then we will ease our way into putting all three down (simultaneously?) at bedtime. The last step will be having all three sleep together for the afternoon nap - I think we are still a ways away from that happening as the babies aren't on a firm schedule quite yet. Should be interesting.....
No comments:
Post a Comment