Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Transitions, transitions, transitions!

Last Friday, Oliver went to a pediatric dentist - we had been reading the Berenstein Bears "Visit to the Dentist" (a classic!) to prepare him.  We were also talking a lot about how he was a big boy and the dentist was going to take his schnullis (pacifiers).  Oliver was a real trooper and both the nurse/assistant (?) and Dr George both commented on how well he did for his age.  We were able to get through the full examination/teeth cleaning with minimal whining/tears!  I was a proud momma-bear.  Oliver was able to sit on the big chair all by himself and enjoyed hearing about all the tools the dentist was using.  Local friends -- Cobblestone Kids/Dr. George is fantastic! 
 
Getting a last suck out of the schnulli in the waiting room
passing the time watching an Elmo movie while we wait for the doc
In what has become a nice tradition, Oliver and I went out for a crepe lunch afterwards.  The crepe place is close to his gymnastics class (in the neighborhood I hope we move to).  We had gone there both on his birthday and my last day of work before maternity leave (Fridays too!). 
 
We were bracing for a tough schnulli adjustment, but it really hasn't been an issue.  He forgets he doesn't have it more than anything else.  We remind him that he gave them to Dr. George and that's the end of that.  The nap that first day was a bit tough and once he woke up in the middle of the night looking for it (forgetting that it wasn't in bed with him), but that's been it. 
 
In other news, the transition to full-time daycare has been tough.  Coupled with the babies moving into his room at the same time isn't helping matters, but really can't be helped (I need my office back!).  We got to see the full effect of that combination last night.  When the babies woke up for their 4am feeding, they woke Oliver.  We got them quickly, and Oliver should have been able to easily fall back asleep, but that's not what happened.  Instead, Oliver howled, screamed, whined, and carried on.....  at one point he was screaming at the top of his lungs and thrashing about on the floor (it was almost comical at the height of his tantrum).  How this didn't wake up Pauline, I have no idea.  Adam and I alternated being downstairs dealing with him and laying in bed, wishing we were asleep. Amazingly, the twins didn't complain having to endure their big brother's antics.  After about an hour, I relocated them, so that we wouldn't have to deal with three sleep-deprived kids..... 
 
Oliver is just overwhelmed by all the changes and we're trying to be sympathetic.  We knew there would be a transition period.  Full time daycare was tough for him the last time he had to endure it (after Kathrina's sudden departure), so we knew he might struggle again.  Tuesdays are particularly hectic days now as Oliver comes home from daycare around 5pm and has swim class at 6pm.  It's just too much hustle & bustle for a little boy that needs more downtime.  I'm leaning towards changing his daycare days to M, W, F from M-W.  I think a day of rest in between will help.  Cross your fingers for us, tonight is uneventful!  I don't know how many more nights like last night Adam & I can survive. 

No comments: